Bobby DavisScroll Down
2009 Sherwood Award Winner
Bobby Davis was the Athletic Director and Head Football Coach at Frenship High School for 25 years. He also had coaching stops at Lockney, Wilson, Post, and Corpus Christi Calallen. He has 251 victories in his legendary career. His 251 wins ranks him in the top 20 all time in the state of Texas.
Coach Davis arrived at Frenship in 1981. His Frenship Football teams made the play-offs 15 times, including a run of 11 in a row. Under his leadership Frenship advanced to the state semifinals twice and the state quarterfinals seven times.
Coach Davis served on the Texas High School Coaches Association Board of Directors from 1972-1975, and was on the THSCA Football Advisory Committee from 1988-1991. He was inducted into the Texas High School Coaches Association Hall of Honor in 1999. The Hall of Honor is the highest honor a coach can receive in the coaching profession. Coach Davis also won the Tom Landry Award in 2002. This award is given each year to the top Texas High School Football Coach in the state of Texas.
Coach Davis and his football staff coached the Texas High School Coaches Association North All-Star Football Team in San Antonio in 2005, and the South All-Stars in the ASCO West Texas Football Classic, held in Lubbock, in 2006. He is also co-founder and director of the West Texas Football Clinic, held annually in Lubbock.
Other awards Coach Davis has received over the years include:
- 1983 – Special Recognition Award, presented by Wolfforth Chamber of Commerce and Agriculture.
- 1999 – Tribute to Teachers Plaque, presented by Texas Tech University College of Education.
- 2000 – George Woods Award for Outstanding Service in Sports, presented by the Lubbock NAACP.
- 2001 – Legendary Coach of the Year, presented by Texas Tech University.
- 2005 – Football Coach of the Year, presented by Sports Express Radio Network.
- 2006 – Man of the Year Award, presented by Wolfforth Chamber of Commerce and Agriculture.
- 2008 – Legacy of Excellence Award, presented by TeamRehab and Sports Medicine.
Coach Davis and his wife Delmarie have been married for 52 years. They have three sons, all of whom are in the educational profession. Bryan is the Athletic Director and High School Principal at Sudan High School; Brad is the Athletic Director and Head Football Coach at Frenship High School; and Brent is the Head Football Coach at San Angelo Central High School. Coach Davis and his wife also have five grandsons and three granddaughters.